Saturday, August 3, 2013

Temuduga SPA Pegawai Sains Kimia Hayat (Gred C41)

First time going for the interview? Fret not! Because I will share with you some tips. Hopefully it will be helpful.

Actually this would be my second time going for the interview.

Preparation before interview:

  • Make sure all the original copy and photostat copy are ready. You just need to bring one copy but you can bring extra if you want. Curriculum certificates no need to make any copy. Just bring the original one.
  • Bring your interview letter or e-mail that you got from SPA. It's important! The first thing they'll ask for is that letter. It's for your registration.
  • Read a lot about the current issue that's going on in Malaysia and overseas.
  • Make sure you know about all the 'Dasar-dasar kerajaan'.
  • Also, try to find the job description for Pegawai Sains Kimia Hayat. Which Ministry is it under?
  • Lastly, it is safer if you could read back your notes in Biochemistry classes. Some of the interviewer do test your knowledge. You don't have to memorize the whole textbook. Just some topics. It's your pick.
  • Decide and prepare the clothes that you will wear for the interview. Wear fully-covered shoes. Not too much make-up (for girls).
I would say it is very crucial for you to be prepared before the interview. You need to read, understand and memorize all the facts. Make a small note for you to bring while waiting for your turn. When you know you are well-prepared, you won't be nervous much during the interview. Be confident! They may provoke you, but make sure you stay calm. Watch your tone when speaking. It's a psychological battle. 

Just so you know, different interviewers have different styles. Some of them are serious, some of them are laid-back. Some of them would test your general knowledge, some of them would not. Some would ask you to speak in English, some would not. So don't blame me if you prepared so hard that none of the current issue or 'dasar-dasar kerajaan' are not being asked. It is better for you to prepare for the worst.   

Another important thing.. Are you an overseas graduate? Check if your BSc certificate has "Honors" written on it.. From my own experience, I would advise you to go to JPA (Tingkat 6) and get 'Surat Pengiktirafan' from them to prove that you BSc. certificate is equivalent as 'BSc with Honors' here in Malaysia. What happened to me is that the interviewers stop asking question when they realized that my degree is not awarded with Honors. [EDITED] Well, 'Honors' here means if your CGPA is 2.75 above, you are granted 'Honors'. If below 2.75, then your degree is just a general degree.  Honors degree is granted according to your college/university. In my case, the degree that I have is not in Honors program. So, I ended up getting brush off by the interviewers. Even after I went to JPA and get the 'Surat Pengiktirafan', SPA said I have to wait for next time because they can't give me a second chance for this year interview session. Aish~

I have to admit that I didn't get the offer for the job. I'm just merely sharing what I did wrong and hope to improve next time. The first time around, I think I talked a lot about unrelated stuff. I was just too chatty. Haha.. It's better for you to be straight to the point and act maturely (with less giggling). My second time around, I was 'kicked out' (just being over dramatic here) from the interview room because they said I'm not qualified for this job and my courses are mostly not Biochemistry. (T_T) Never knew that studying in overseas can be such hassle.

p/s: Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Me also got "offer" to be interviewed for the same position. I would like to share my little experience, which other candidates may pick up my experience for better preparation next time. I was interviewed by 2 panels, 1 from SPA, another 1 was from the agency/ministry. Of course from Ministry of Health. It was my first time my interview with SPA, and I did lots of preparation to face the interviewers. The questions that were asked by them included general questions, questions based on the positions applied and etc. They should ask you about your background first. Then bit by bit they move to the specific questions, what is your role as Science Officer Grade C41 (Biochemistry). A little tips I can share with you, although they ask simple question, you suppose to answer it maturely, full of confident. And if you can not answer their question, you should not answer "I don't know". But Its better to answer "I am not very sure". Might be a bonus for you if you do not know the answer, but you know the definition. For example, I was asked with a famous question, "How do you run the Quality Control"? I was a little bit nervous, but you guys do not show how nervous you are, with that question, but use your maturity, calm down, and just answer anything in your mind confidently but do not cheat especially when involving the fact. And make sure your sentences are properly arranged. Lastly, the panels desire question from you to answer by them. Make sure you prepare the related question. No question means you do not intend to join the ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. assalamualaikum...
    bitter heart
    saya rasa anda ada sedikit salah faham berkenaan honor atau dalam bahasa melayunya KEPUJIAN
    kepujian di sini bermaksud bidang yang anda belajar diiktiraf JPA dan MQA
    bukan berdasarkan pngk
    kalau anda belajar di local universiti, ipta khususnya, anda sudah tahu sama ada course yang ditawarkan dengan kepujian atau tidak..
    kalau di luar, jika memang tajaan kerajaan seperti JPA dan MARA sudah tentu mereka akan menghantar anda ke negara yang mempunyai course yang boleh diiktiraf yakni sesuai dan boleh dipraktikkan dalam Malaysia
    kuasa untuk memberi honor atau kepujian bergantung sepenuhnya kepada badan kerajaan seperti JPA dan MQA
    bukan pihak universiti atau pointer anda
    itupun kalau anda nak kerja dengan kerajaan
    kalau swasta, tiada masalah rasanya
    tapi, saya pernah diinterview pihak swasta dan mereka menerima saya kerana dalam ijazah saya terdapat kepujian walaupun pngk saya rendah
    dan penemuduga juga salah faham tentang honor ni macam awak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. nak tambah
    kalau anda graduate dengan ijazah kelas pertama pun kalau tak ada kepujian yakni tak diiktiraf anda tak akan diterima bekerja kerajaan..
    ijazah dibezakan dengan kelasnya
    walau tanpa kepujian mungkin diterima negara lain
    untuk kerajaan Malaysia its a no-no
    by the way, awak kata awak kena tunggu sebulan untuk dapat pengiktirafan kan??
    saya bukan kerja dengan JPA or MQA tapi saya rasa mereka perlukan masa untuk investigate awak punya course relevent ke tak dengan jawatan2 di Malaysia sebab awak mohon di Malaysia, gov pulak tu...penting la pengiktirafan tu...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. distributor bahan kimia kosmetik

    ReplyDelete